BSc(Hons) in Agriculture
Bangladesh is predominantly an agricultural country where almost 80% people are directly or indirectly involved in agriculture. Agriculture sector plays a vital role in accelerating the economic growth. Currently the contribution of agriculture is 13.6 percent in total GDP of Bangladesh. It is therefore important to have a profitable, sustainable and environment-friendly agricultural system in order to ensure long-term food security for people as well as maintaining the economic stability of Bangladesh. Considering upon the importance and priorities of agriculture sector there is a growing demand for graduates with degrees in agriculture and related fields, and the Department Of Agriculture Of Henry Institute Of Bio Science and Technology (HIBT) is here to meet that demand.
The Department of agriculture is the most decorated and well organized Department of Henry Institute of Bioscience And Technology (HIBT) under the Faculty of Agriculture of Rajshahi University, and offering highest number of compulsory undergraduate courses. To fulfil the objectives of the Institute, the Department of Agriculture renders tertiary education and research in the field of crop production. In addition to its top quality teaching to the undergraduate, the Department is also determined to provide high quality teaching and research opportunity (both fundamental and applied) to the postgraduate with modern laboratory facilities. The Department also implements need-based and demand-driven research on field crop production for improving their productivity and thus helping the nation to ensure food security.
The Department has highly qualified teaching staff (2 Assistant Professors and 3 Lecturers) with well experience of using all modern tools of agricultural education and research. With national and international collaborations the Teachers of the Department have been doing advanced researches on technology generation on crop science. With the existing facilities the Department is trying to render top quality education and research in the field of crop science for producing agriculture graduates of international competence to meet the tertiary education sector development goal of the country. As a routine work the Department regularly updates the existing course-curricula of Agriculture as per international standard. The Department is emphasizing to include new courses based on national and international demands, especially the issues related to climate change and crop vulnerability.
Employment Scope for the Agriculture graduates
Career in agriculture is one of the largest sector and a good source of employment at home and abroad.
A good number of agriculture specialist is required for research, extension and development activities and proper utilization of our vast field resources and also opportunities for agriculture related work in various government/autonomous, non-government and international institutes/organizations.
- Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS) is providing a great opportunity for agriculture graduates both in general cadre and technical cadre.
- Government Organizations
- Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI)
- Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture(BINA)
- Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI)
- Bangladesh Sugarcrop Research Institute (BSRI)
- Bangladesh Jute Research Institute (BJRI)
- Bangladesh Cotton Research Institute (BCRI)
- Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC)
- Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation (BADC) etc
- Non-Government Organizations
Syngentya, ACI, BRAC, BAYER, NEW HOPE AGRO TECH etc.
- International Organizations
- International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
- Food and Agricultural Organization ( FAO)
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere (CARE) etc